How do I know I need Sinus Surgery?
If you’ve already been diagnosed with sinusitis and haven’t seen any improvements after three months and countless rounds of antibiotics, you might be suffering from chronic sinusitis. The next step would be to see a specialist called an otolaryngologist, these surgeons specialize in conditions of the ears, nose and throat also called ENT doctors. The ENT doctors at Fayetteville Otolaryngology have been helping patients find lasting relief from chronic sinusitis for over 40 years.
When your sinus problems are recurring over the years, your ENT doctor will most likely recommend a surgery as an option.
How do you know what type of surgery you need?
Types of Sinus Surgery
- Functional endoscopic surgery, where a small tube with an attached camera is used to look directly into the nose and sinuses. During an endoscopy, the doctor can remove tissue, clean out the sinuses and enlarge sinus openings for drainage.
- Open sinus surgery, where in more complicated cases, an incision may be made directly over the sinus so it can be opened, diseased tissues eradicated and sinus reconstructed.
- Balloon Sinuplasty, where a catheter with an inflatable balloon is inserted into the sinus and then inflated to widen sinus openings. Unlike traditional sinus surgery Balloon Sinuplasty require no cutting or removal of bone or tissue.
If you aren’t sure if you are the right candidate for a sinus surgery, here is a quick checklist:
1) These recurring symptoms:
- Facial pain
- Facial pressure
- Sinus headaches
- Discharge of yellow or green mucus from the nose
- Decreased Sense of Smell
2) Medications with no effect:
- Nasal spray
- Natural remedies such as a vaporizer or using steam to try to clear the air ways
3) If you had a sinus infection more than four times a year.
4) Other reasons for a sinus surgery include:
- Sinus disease caused by a fungal infection
- Nasal or sinus polyps
- Structural abnormalities of the nose or sinuses
- Sinus infection that has spread to bone
- Cancer of the sinus
- Chronic sinusitis with HIV
If you or a loved one currently suffer from sinus infections or sinus pain and/or pressure, it’s time to stop suffering. Please visit http://www.fayent.com/schedule-appointment/ to schedule your appointment.